Fun and super easy, funfetti puffed quinoa squares are a sweet vegan treat that are irresistable. A classic remade with a modern twist.
One of my favorite snacks as a teen was rice crispie squares. They were the quintessential after school snack. This version, made vegan with vegan butter and vegan marshmellows are just as good and much healthier. Full of snap and sweetness, they will brighten up any lunch box, study or tea break.
Vegan and so easy to make
I made these using homemade vegan butter. I also used vegan marshmellows. I bought mine from a vegan bakery but you can find them online or at your local health food store. I changed the cereal from rice crispies to quinoa cereal. I buy this cereal in bulk at my local bulk food store and prefer the texture. They make a denser square so if you prefer something less chewy, you can use the traditional rice crispy cereal.
The marshmellows are melted in vegan butter. Vegan marshmellows take a little longer to melt than the non vegan variety. Keep the heat low and add a little soy milk it is starts to stick. The butter also turns a lovely caramel color. This is fine, just keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
After adding the cereal and funfetti to the melted marshmellows, press the mixture into a prepared baking pan. Make sure its well greased. The mixture may be quite stiff so press it down with a potato masher.
Add funfetti to the top and press down with your hands. Let it cool and cut into squares.
These are best eaten fresh. Store squares in the fridge and let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
This super sweet treat is sure to be popular. They’re the perfect way to brighten up a grey winter day and a fun way to take a break. Enjoy!
Funfetti Puffed Quinoa Squares
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 package vegan marshmallows about 50
- 6 cups puffed quinoa cereal
- 2 tablespoons soy milk if needed
- 1/2 cup funfetti sprinkles
- Liberally grease and flour a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- Melt vegan butter over low heat in a large saucepan.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add a little soy milk if they start to stick to the pan.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add puffed quinoa cereal and 1/3 cup Funfetti sprinkle to pot. Stir vigorously until well mixed.
- Using buttered spatula evenly press mixture into the prepared pan. If hardened use a potato masher.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sprinkles on top and press them down into the squares with fingers.
- Let cool.
- Once cooled, cut into 2-inch squares and serve.