Vegan cheese makes this classic sandwich healthy and fun and delicious as well!
Just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean you can’t still indulge in your favorite comfort food. There are commercial vegan versions of every non vegan food that are yummy, healthy and convenient. If you prefer to make your own, there are recipes for every dish as well.
Growing up I never had grilled cheese sandwiches but the first time I tried one I was hooked. There is something about fried bread and melted cheese that’s irresistable. I loved to eat mine as most do, served with ketchup and a pickle. Making a vegan version is very easy and the results are delicious.
Making vegan cheese
You can buy good vegan cheeses which is the easiest method but I prefer to make my own. This recipe is easy, tastes like cheese and requires only a little time to insure the cheese aquires the right consisency and texture. It should be quite thick, thick enough to clump to the spoon and to create “strings” when pulled apart.
Making the cheese sauce is the only time consuming step in this recipe. You need to boil the cashew and carrot until it’s soft. Then you process them, with some of the boiling water in a blender with the water. Place them in a sauce pan, stir it for 10-15 minutes until the sauce forms clumps, clumps on the spoon, retains it’s shape and pulls away from the sides of the pot. Be careful not to undercook it or it will be too runny. Be patient, it will thicken up.
I prefer using a non stick pancake pan for grilling my sandwiches, but any pan will do. The method is very easy. Cook the sandwiches over medium high heat. Fry both sides of the sandwich for a minutes or two, gently pressing down a few times while it cooks. Grill until both sides are well browned and cheese has melted slightly.
I serve my grilled cheese on wholewheat gluten free bread. Wholewheat bread adds nutrients and flavour to any sandwich and using a good bread is what really makes a sandwich great.
The classic combination of grilled cheese and ketchup is my favorite, but you can also serve it with salsa, hot sauce or a ranch dip. For lunch I often serve it with creamy tomato soup, which is another classic pairing that goes perfectly. However you prefer to serve your grilled cheese sandwiches, just make sure they’re made with vegan cheese and enjoy!
Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 1 1/8 cup cashew and carrot water saved from boiling
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia seasoning or your favorite salt free seasoning
- 8 slices vegan wholewheat bread
- Vegan butter
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the cashews and carrot and boil for 10 minutes, or until the carrot is softened.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cashews and carrot to a high-speed blender. Do not discard the cooking water.
- Add the nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, lemon juice, and 1 cup plus 1/8 cup of the reserved cooking water to the blender. Blend sauce for 2-3 minutes on high speed, until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat, stirring over low heat. Clumps should immediately begin to form. Continue stirring for 10- 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and stretchy. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside.
- Toast 8 slices of bread.
- When toasted lay bread out four sandwiches. Butter both sides of the bread, liberally on one side. Take one slice and add enough cheese to cover it. Top with the second slice of bread and press down gently. If cheese doesn't ooze outside the edges slightly add more cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Grill the sandwiches until golden brown on both sides. Press down evenly with a spatula during cooking.
- Once the sandwiches are done, slice each the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
You must be logged in to post a comment.