Hot and spicy with delicious grilled corn and roasted peanuts, this salad will really help put some heat and flavour into your summer.
Summer is the season for eating hot, spicy food. For me, there’s nothing better than eating eye watering, mouth burning spice during a heat wave. As we are getting more and more of those, I have been spending alot of my time trying new recipes with hot peppers. This one I recently tried, a grilled corn salad with serrano peppers, is my new favorite.
The recipe blends the sweetness of corn with the crunch of roasted nuts, the heat of serrano peppers with creamy mild vegan cheese and light tasting mint. It’s an amazing taste combination and is a bright, unexpected and spicy hot addition to any summer gathering or potluck.
A hot and easy summer salad
Corn is fresh, cheap, and plentiful this time of year. I used frozen corn in this recipe as it’s as nutritious and alot more convenient.
The recipe is very easy. Just toast the nuts and grill the corn in a wok, and then combine with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Serve with torn fresh mint and soft vegan cheese.
This salad is truly flavourful and wonderful and very hot. To reduce the heat you can omit the red chili flakes if you like. Either way, this salad is a great choice. Enjoy and have a great summer!
Grilled Corn, Peanut and Serrano Pepper Salad
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- 4 1/2 cups sweet corn
- 1 serrano chile pepper deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup mint leaves torn
- 1 cup fresh citrus juice use orange, lemon, lime or a combination
- 2 tablespoons organic canola oil
- 3 ounces soft vegan cheese
- Heat nonstick wok or skillet over medium high heat.
- Dry stir fry chopped nuts for a minute of two until well roasted. Place nuts in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Clean wok with a wet clean cloth and return to heat. Add the corn. If using frozen, thaw first by running under hot water and then blot dry on a clean tea towel.
- Grill corn, stirring until it begins to char, about 5-7 minutes. Once nicely charred remove from wok and place into the large mixing bowl with the nuts.
- Slice, deseed the pepper. Add to clean grill. Grill until slightly charred. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the citrus juice, pepper, hot chili pepper to the mixing bowl. Toss until well combined.
- Drizzle salad with the oil and toss again.
- Serve with torn mint leaves and soft vegan cheese.