Baked apples are easy to make, economical and sweet and delicious as well. Served with a maple coconut cream, it’s a classic dessert that’s healthy and sure to satisfy every one’s sweet tooth.
Baked apples are a real treat if you’re a fan of baked fruit desserts, which I am. My mom would make this dessert in the fall when I was growing up and I always loved it. It’s really easy to make so it was a go to after work recipe in my family.
The recipe relies on using very sweet and crisp apples. I used organic honeycrisp apples for my version. They are sweet, floral and firm enough to retain their shape, perfect for baking. For filling, I used coconut sugar and regular raisins, and topped it with vegan butter. That is the entire recipe and the results are spectacular, sweet and tart and light. I serve mine with maple coconut cream which adds a touch of flavour and creaminess. Delicious!
Making baked apples
Start by washing and drying the apples. It’s best to use organic or unwaxed varieties and using ones that are sweeter, such as Cortland, Fuji or Honeycrisp. You can also use Macintosh which are tarter but also bake well.
To remove the core, the easiest method is with a small paring knife. Core in a circular motion, removing the top half of the core, trying to remove the entire core. Then flip the apple over and do the same with the bottom half. Once done, place the cored apples in a small baking dish and set aside.
To make the filling, in a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar, cinnamon and raisins and stir well. Spoon the mixture into each apple core, filling it. Once filled, top with a 1/4 tablespoon dab of vegan butter. Add a little warm water to the pan and it’s ready to bake.
Bake the apples in a preheated oven for up to an hour, marinating with the baking liquid a few times throughout the baking time. Start checking for doneness at 30 minutes as cooking time can really vary. The apples are done when you can easily spear them with a fork or knife all the way to the bottom. They should be soft throughout but still able to retain their shape.
Once soft and cooked, remove the apples from the oven and spoon some marinade over them. Let them cool in the baking dish for 5 minutes or so before serving.
I like to serve this dessert warm with maple coconut cream which is easily made by mixing maple syrup with coconut cream. You can also serve with whipped cream or vanilla icecream which also tastes great. You can serve them plain as well.
Baked apples are delicious and are an attractive, healthy and easy to make dessert. They are sure to impress and satisy everyone’s sweet tooth, and are a perfect way to make use of fall apples. They can be frozen and thawed as well for an easy after work or school treat. Enjoy!
Baked Apples with Maple Coconut Cream
- 4 large baking apples such as Honeycrisp
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3/4 cup warm water
Coconut Maple Cream:
- 1 can full fat coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the apples. Cut out the cores with aparing knife. Start at the top going halfway and then turn and remove the bottom half.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped raisins. Stir until mixed.
- Place the apples in a 9×9 baking dish and fill each centre with the raisin sugar mixture. Place a dab of vegan butter on top of the sugar.
- Pour the warm water into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 45-70 minutes, or until the apples are cooked throughout and tender. Check often after 30 minutes as the cooking time can vary. Test with a knife or other tester. It should easily go through the entire apple. Marinade by spooning a few tablespoons of the sauce over the apples when checking them.
- To make the maple coconut cream: While apples are baking, combine the coconut cream and maple syrup in a small bowl. Stir well to mix. Refrigerate until serving.
- When apples are done, remove them from the oven. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan.
- To serve: Place apple on a plates. Drizzle a tablespoon or so of the baking water over top.Serve warm with coconut maple cream.
You must be logged in to post a comment.