Everyone’s favorite holiday treat is made even better with the sweetness of peppermint. Use plant based milk and vegan peppermint marshmellow to make this Vegan Peppermint Hot Chocolate kind and extra festive.
When I was growing up, hot chocolate was a Christmas Eve tradition in my family. Creamy and hot, sweetened with marshmellow and served with shortbread cookies, it was a highlight of my Christmas memories. Happily, as a vegan, I can continue with this tradition, as hot chocolate is one of the easiest holiday recipes to veganize.
For my grown up, vegan version, I stuck with the basics, and made it more festive with peppermint extract and Dandies peppermint mini marshmellow. Before serving, I top the hot chocolate with vegan whip cream and crushed candy cane for an added burst of sweetness and peppermint. The results were delicious and dreamy, just as the best hot chocolate should be.
Making Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Making vegan peppermint hot chocolate is very easy. Begin, as always, by assembling your ingredients. All of them can be found at your local health food, bulk or vegan shop or online.
Begin by heating, in a large pot over medium heat, the plant based milks, cocoa powder, unsweetened dark chocolate, peppermint extract and sugar. It’s important to use a large pot as the hot chocolate can easily bubble up and pour over the top of a smaller pot. Once the ingredients are in the pot, whisk until everything is melted and combined. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Once boiling, immediately remove and pour into mugs.
After the hot chocolate is poured, top with vegan peppermint mini marshmellows, and then the whipped cream. For added flavour and fun, add the few more marshmellows on top with some crushed candy cane. Serve immediately as the whip cream will melt quickly.
Yummy Sweet Chocolately Comfort
There is nothing more festive that a steaming hot mug of hot chocolate with marshmellows and whip cream. With added peppermint flavour and candy canes, it becomes even more festive and fun, and is sure to bring comfort and joy to all.
It’s also nice to remember what makes the season special, the warm feelings we have for others, of love, care and peace. Why not, starting this year, make your holidays vegan and extend that love to all creatures on earth, to the animals. Veganized holiday recipes taste the same as the ones we loved and cherished in our memories, but are kinder and healthier as well. As practically any holiday recipe can be veganized, whatever your holiday traditions, I hope you will give plant based a try over the holidays and into the new year. Have a wonderful Christmas, a happy holidays and enjoy!
Vegan Cookies to Celebrate the Holidays
It’s so easy to veganize your favorite Christmas cookies, and the results will amaze you. Vegan Christmas cookies taste great, are healthier, and are just as sweet and yummy as the ones you remember. Whether for you or for Santa, these cookies are sure to please:
Vegan food is healthy, kind to animals, and kind to the planet. It is also delicious and affordable. If you like this recipe, please share! ~Una
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Food scale
- 1 cup Almond milk Or unsweetened milk of your choice
- 1 cup Full fat organic coconut milk
- 2 oz Dark unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Sweetener of your choice Or more as desired
- 1/8 teaspoon Organic peppermint non alcoholic extract
- Coconut whipped cream As topping
- Vegan peppermint mini marshmellows As topping
- Crushed candy canes As topping
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, cocoa powder, chocolate, sweetener, and peppermint flavor. Stir well with a spoon or whisk to combine.
- Heat and stir the mixture until everything is melted and combined. Taste and add more sweetener or peppermint extract as desired. Remember, before adding more sweetener, that your toppings will add sweetness as well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring to prevent burning.
- Once boiling, immediately pour mixture into 2 mugs. Top with marshmellows, vegan whip cream and crushed candy canes. Serve immediately.