Crunchy, nutty and sweetened by dates, Peanut Butter Hermit Cookies are hearty, easy to make hermit cookies and the perfect treat.
For me late summer brings back memories of summer camp and camping, visits to the cottage and late summer picnics. I loved eating outdoors and Hermits cookies are a popular and traditional dessert choice for dining alfresco. They are easily portable, hearty, crunchy, creamy and sweet, with natural peanut butter, chopped peanuts and diced dates. So good and so easy to make.
Hermit cookies are traditionally made with oats but I omited them and adjusted the recipe to suit my taste. Hermit cookies are very versatile and you can add anything to the mix. Flaked coconut, chocolate chips, even trail mix are popular choices and all taste great. For this recipe, I kept it simple with a combination of dates, peanuts and peanut butter, making cookies that are sweet and satisfying and perfect for snacking.
Making Peanut Butter Hermit Cookies
This recipe is a very simple and basic one bowl recipe. You add the flour and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and whisk them to combine. Then add the peanuts and diced dates and stir them in. Add the peanut butter and applesauce last and stir to create a crumbly dough. Try forming dough into a large ball. If it remains too crumbly, add a little water. If not, omit.
The moistness of the dough will depend on what peanut butter you use. That’s why it’s important to mix the peanut butter into the dough well before adding the water if needed. If the dough is too dry, the cookies will turn out too dry, so creating a moist, soft but firm dough is important.
Once the dough is done, break off a bit and roll into a 2 inch ball. Place it on a lined cookie sheet. Keep rolling the dough until the sheet is full. Then press each cookie with a fork until flattened.
After cookies are baked, let them cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes. They are then transfered to a cooling rack to fully let cool.
These cookies are hearty enough for transporting to any outdoor summer event, but also make a great afternoon snack with tea. They are satisying and high in protein, so will give you an energy boost at anytime.
Sweet and yummy peanut butter hermit cookies are so easy to make, and are a super popular take along and sharing cookie. They won’t last long so be sure to make lots. Enjoy!
More Vegan Cookies
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Peanut Butter Hermit Cookies
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup diced dates
- 1 cup halved peanuts chopped
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 1 cup All Natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the peanuts, and set aside.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and baking powder. Stir well to mix.
- Add peanuts, dates to the bowl. Stir to mix in.
- Add the canola oil, applesauce, and the peanut butter to the bowl. Mix well until a firm but soft dough is formed.
- Test by trying to form dough into a ball. If too crumbly, mix some more and add water, a little at a time, mixing between additions.
- Once mixed, roll with your hands into round balls about 2 inches in diameter and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Press cookies out with a floured fork.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies and let cool fully on a baking rack.
You must be logged in to post a comment.