Everyone’s favorite cookie veganized and made healthier.
This past month has been a very trying time for us all due to the Coronavirus shutdown. I hope you’re all fine and doing well. I’ve been coping by trying to stay calm and doing alot of baking. Luckily I bought alot of baking basics before the lockdown began, so I had everything I needed on hand. My survival routine for the lockdown involved watching alot of YouTube and movies so I decided to bake some of my favorite comfort snacks to enhance the experience.
Chocolate chip cookies are my all time favorite cookie so I decided to make some. I usually add walnuts as well as chocolate chips to my cookies but I didn’t have any so I thought I would use trail mix instead. Lockdown baking requires the ability to substitute well I’ve found. This substitute worked and the cookies turned out really well. The trail mix reduced the sweetness a little which is nice, and the mix of nuts and raisins adds a bit of variety and healthiness.
Easy to make classic recipe
I used the classic tollhouse recipe I found online. It’s a simple recipe that requires mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately and then combining them. You then drop the batter by heaping tablespoon full onto a parchment sheet and then bake them.
The cookies flatten out and really puff up while baking and remain soft when done. Its important to let them cool and harden for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet before removing them and then let them cool on a baking rack.
This is a stressful time. Allowing yourselves little pleasures and comforts make them alot easier and better. Cookies will definitely help make the time more enjoyable! I hope you and yours stay well. Thank you for being a follower of my blog and here’s to a better and yummy tomorrow!
- 2 – 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoon flax mixed with 1/2 cup water, let sit for 15 minutes
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup trail mix
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. (You can also just use an unlined ungreased sheet.)
- Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together the vegan butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add flax eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in flour mixture in a few batches. When just mixed, stir in the chocolate chips and trail mix.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto the baking sheet. Leave at least 2 1/2 inch between each cookie.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a baking rack to let cool completely.