The tangy, smoky flavour of BBQ and tofu make the perfect barbeque combination. A very popular and delicious choice for all your summer get togethers.
It’s barbeque season, and just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean you can’t fully enjoy it. For this recipe I used tofu but you can easily replace it with tempeh, vegan burgers, or sliced seitan. You can also BBQ it on a real outdoor grill instead of an oven as I did.
Great BBQ flavour
Begin by slicing extra firm tofu into fairly thick slices. Add rub on both sides with your fingers. Then carefully using both hands dip the tofu in the barbeque sauce and wipe on the edge of the bowl to remove excess. You can just brush on the sauce as well.
Bake tofu in over for 50 minutes or so turning once after 25 minutes. Reapply sauce with a large pastry brush on both sides when turning. The tofu is done when you can pick up a piece and it doesn’t break apart when you lift it.
You can serve this just like you do any other barbeque with traditional side dishes and of course with more delicious sauce for those who want more tanginess. Barbequed tofu is really delicious dish, high in both protein and flavour. It’s a favorite of mine and sure to become a summer favorite of yours as well. Enjoy!
- 530 g block of extra firm tofu cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red onion pureed
- 1 tablespoon red pepper pureed
- 2 teaspoons garlic pureed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Blot excess water from tofu. Slice it into 3/4 inch slices and set aside.
- For the dry rub, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well with a fork. Set aside
- For the barbeque sauce, chop and pureed the onion, garlic and red pepper in a food processor. Place them with the rest of the ingredientsin a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat and let cook for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly before using.
- To make the bbq tofu: with your fingers coat both sides of the tofu with rub. Place onto a parchment or silicone sheet lined baking pan.
- To apply sauce you can either brush both sides with a large pastry brush or you can gently, with both hands, dip both sides of the tofu into the sauce,and then wipe the excess on the side of the bowl.
- When all the tofu slices are coated with sauce, place in oven.
- Let bake for 50-65 minutes turning and recoating the tofu with sauce after 25 minutes. Start checking for doneness at 45 minutes. Tofu is done when you can pick up a piece and it doesn't fall apart and it has a slightly chewy but not tough texture.
- Once tofu is cooked, remove from heat and serve immediately.