Super Chocolatey and full of nuts, these brownies are so good they don’t need to be humble. Make alot as they go fast!
I’m a big fan of classic movies and Katherine Hepburn was one of the most an incandescent stars of her time. She was also apparently a homebody who loved to bake. If this recipe, which was hers, printed in the New York Times, is any indication, she was pretty good at that as well.
I had been searching for an easy brownie recipe to veganize. Many these days ask for alot of healthy additional ingredients. That’s fine but generally when I’m craving brownies I want something fast, easy, and comforting. This recipe meets these requirements perfectly and they are delicious as well.
These brownies are gooey and sweet, but stick together and aren’t too cakey. They are also very sweet. If you prefer less sweetness, just reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup. I made these with the traditional walnuts but they would also be great with pecans.
There are very few ingredients and no special preparation which makes it the perfect easy, relaxing baking experience for those times when you really don’t feel like spending hours over a recipe. It’s made in one bowl recipe and is easily mixed using a rubber spatula.
After baking, let the recipe cool completely before cutting. If you cut it while it’s warm it will break apart and stick to your knife.
I score the brownies first before cutting because it makes creating straight even lines easier. That’s it, all that’s required to make these simple and divinely chocolatey treats.
They are perfect to bake on a lazy Sunday morning to enjoy later with a cup of tea or coffee. They are also easily transportable for lunches and picnics, and freeze well. Enjoy!
Katherine Hepburn Brownies
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 chia eggs 2 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup water for 15 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line or grease an 8×8 cake pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan with the cocoa and stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and add the sugar. Stir until mixed.
- Add the chia eggs and vanilla. Stir well with a whisk or spatula, until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Add the flour and nuts. Stir until mixed.
- Pour mixture into the prepared 8 x 8-inch-square pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Do not overbake; the brownies should be gooey and soft.
- Let cool completely, then cut into bars.