Super sweet and sure to please anytime you have a sugar craving, classic Blondies are easy to veganize and to enjoy!
Growing up, my mom did alot of home baking and there would always be a home baked treat for an after-school snack. One of my favorites after-school treats were Blondies. These super sweet blonde brownies were so good they were almost addictive.
The main sweetener of both the cake base and icing is brown sugar which gives them rich caramel flavour. The squares are slightly chewy and full of walnuts, a nice contrast to the sweetness of the icing. Blondies are also very easy to make. They take a little while but are well worth it.
How to make vegan Blondies
Blondies are made up of a cake base and thick caramel icing. They are very sweet but you can use less icing if you find them too sweet. The recipe is very easy. Combine the cake ingredients in a bowl and bake in a 8×8 pan. While it’s baking, make the icing by boiling ingredients together. Once cake is cooled, add icing. Let cool completely in the the pan and then cut into squares.
This is a really fun and easy recipe that will definitely satisfy your inner sweet tooth. Blondies are perfect for anytime, after school, a work or study break or to bring on a picnic. Give them a try and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 chia eggs 2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed 1/2 cup water, let sit for 15 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 2 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove over low heat in a small saucepan.
- In a medium sided bowl, add the melt butter and stir in brown sugar.
- Add chia eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add 2 cups walnuts and stir.
- Spoon into cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Make Icing: In a pot heat the butter and brown sugar until boiling. Let boil 2 minutes.
- Add milk and return to boiling.
- Remove from heat and let cool until just warm.
- Add icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Make Blondies: Let cake completely cool.
- Once cake is completely cooled, spread icing on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and refrigerate until icing is set.
- Cut into 16 squares. Store covered in the refrigerator.