Watermelon Cake is delicious and has all the sweetness of regular cake with none of the fat or sugar. Topped with coconut yogurt “icing” and fresh fruit, it’s a spectacular way to end any summer celebration.
This summer I decided to try to reduce my sugar consumption, and to make, and eat alot more raw and healthy recipes. With all the celebrations and summer get togethers, it wasn’t the easiest change to make, but I did find some great recipes online that helped me achieve my goal.
I had read about sugar free, no cooking watermelon cake a few years ago and decided to try making it this year for Canada Day. I’m glad I did as I was amazed at how yummy and cakelike it was. I used a coconut based yogurt and agave nectar as a sweetener. Coconut curls and almond slivers worked wonderfully as decoration and using a wide assortment of fruit as a topping made it festive and pretty, as well as healthy.
Making Watermelon Cake
Another great thing about watermelon cake is how easy it is to make. It does require a steady hand to insure an even watermelon slice but beyond that, it’s mistake proof. You begin by slicing chilled watermelon into 2 inch slices. Use the largest slice and refrigerate the rest.
Cut the watermelon slice into 6 pieces just as you would cake. Next, layer on the yogurt with a spatula, extending it to cover almost all the pink of the watermelon.
Then add the summer fruit. I used four summer berries, pomegranite, kiwi and star fruit but you can use whatever fruit you prefer. After you’ve added the fruit, sprinkle on the almond slivers and add the coconut pieces. Finally, just before serving, drizzle agave nectar over all the fruit. Serve chilled.
Pretty and yummy dessert
This cake is as stunning as it is delicious. I added extra fruit around the cake plate edges which gave it a more festive look. I found it helpful to make sure everything is well chilled before making and serving. It makes the cake refreshing and very welcome on hot summer days.
Summertime is a time to celebrate and gather with friends. You don’t want to spend your time baking in a hot kitchen. That’s why watermelon cake is my new favorite festive summer dessert. It’s easy, fresh, refreshing and healthy, and the perfect ending to any summer celebration. Enjoy!
More Summer Desserts
Whether it’s a Sunday, ice cream sandwich or fruited cake, summer desserts are always yummy and a great idea. Here are some more delicious recipes to try:
- 1 large watermelon slice 2 inches thick
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup shivered almonds
- 1/4 cup roasted coconut pieces
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 pint strawberries destemmed and cut into quarters
- 6 oz blackberries
- 6 oz raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 cup pomegranite seeds
- 1 kiwi sliced
- 1 star fruit sliced
- Slice chilled watermelon into 2 inch thick slices. Set aside the largest slice and refrigerate the rest.
- Cut watermelon slice into 6 or 8 equal pieces.
- Prepare fruit by washing and draining well. Slice the kiwi and the star fruit.
- Spread watermelon with unsweetened yogurt.
- Layer fruit evenly on top of the yogurt. Completely cover the yogurt but don't pile the fruit.
- Sprinkle the almond slivers and the coconut pieces on top evenly.
- Just before serving, slowly pour the agave evenly over the fruit.