Who needs crab when you can have Grilled Corn with Old Bay Butter instead? Delicious hot off the grill with vegan butter, and lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning adds a fresh new taste to a favorite summer classic.
Old Bay seasoning is a summer staple that adds flavour to any summer dish. Traditionally it is used to flavour seafood but you can also use it to flavour other summer dishes as well. While searching for some of these recipes online, I found this recipe for Old Bay grilled corn on the New York Times Cooking website. It sounded intriging as I had never heard of using Old Bay seasoning on corn, so I decided to give it a try.
Grilling is a great way to preserve freshness and flavour and can be done indoors or out. I had never grilled corn before, but thanks to my indoor grill pan it was easy and fun to do. The results were also impressive: perfectly grilled corn and so delicious served with vegan Old Bay butter and lemon juice.
How to Make Grilled Corn with Old Bay Butter
Making grilled corn with Old Bay Butter is very easy. It’s best done on a grill, either indoor or outdoor, but you can also just boil the corn. You will need Old Bay seasoning, which is available in all major supermarkets or you can make your own.
To grill corn indoors, heat your grill until hot over medium high heat. When a drop of water splashed on the pan sizzles, it’s hot enough. Place the corn on the grill and let cook a minute or so. Turn the corn once each side is slightly charred and bright. Keep turning until all the corn is grilled.
While corn is grilling, make the Old Bay butter. Place Old Bay, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl with vegan butter at room temperature. Stir well until mixed. If very hot, place in refrigerator until corn is done. To serve, just slather the Old Bay butter on the freshly grilled corn. Serve with extra butter for those who want it.
Delicious new summer classic
Being vegan doesn’t mean letting go of old favorite classics and traditions. It just means updating them, thinking outside the box and reworking classic ingredients in new and unexpected ways, something this recipe wonderfully illustrates.
Old Bay seasoning tastes absolutely delicious on corn. Perfect for any summer barbecue or an evening meal in the backyard under the stars or on the beach. Be sure to invest in an indoor grill and enjoy this amazing new classic at anytime of the year. Enjoy!
More Vegan Summer Recipes
Vegan recipes are perfect for the summer. Light, flavourful and delicious, they’re perfect for bringing to a barbeque or picnic. Here are some summer favorites to try:
Roast Baby Potato Salad with Radish Greens and Vegan Bacon Bits
Grilled Corn with Old Bay Butter
- 8 ears fresh corn shucked
- 8 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter at room temperature
- 2 lemons zested and cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning plus more for garnish
- Heat an indoor grill over medium high heat. When hot enough to make water drops sizzle, add corn.
- Grill corn for about 1 minutes and turn. Keep turning until all of the corn is grilled.
- While corn is grilling, combine the vegan butter, half the lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning. Mix together until well combined and creamy.
- Remove grilled corn and place on a large platter. Slather generously with the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle corn with the remaining zest and Old Bay seasoning to garnish. Serve with lemon wedges.
You must be logged in to post a comment.