Sweet and tangy Grilled Plums with Ginger and Cream is a great way to enjoy summer plums. Be sure to use real candied ginger and vegan whip cream for this sublime dessert.
One of the greatest things about summer is the amazing seasonal produce, alot of it locally grown. Peaches, watermelon, berries and my favorite, plums, are all in season and are at their peak in taste. I love eating them raw, but I also love cooking with them. Plums are incredibly versatile as a cooking ingredients, as well being sweet and tart and very healthy.
I wanted to eat lighter this summer so my desserts all relied heavily on fruit. This dessert, grilled plums with ginger and cream, appealed to me because I’ve always wanted to try grilling fruit and the idea of ginger and plums together sounded delicious. They are, especially when adding vegan whip cream to this easy, and very impressve dessert.
How to make Grilled Plums with Ginger
Grilling fruit is easy and a great way to bring out their natural flavour and sweetness. Plums grill really well and take only minutes. This entire dessert only takes 10 minutes to prepare.
Start by cutting your washed plums in half. Carefully remove the pit and discard. Heat your grill until very hot. Brush a little oil on the cut sides of the plum and place on grill.
Grill the plums until softened and grill marks appear. Turn them over and grill the other side. It’s preferable to cover the plums while they grill. If grilling indoors a large pot lid makes an excellent cover.
While the plums are grilling, chop the ginger into fairly small uniform pieces and set aside. To plate the dessert, dollop vegan whip cream onto a desset plate. Place two halves of plum on top, and add a few ginger pieces and slivered almonds. Just before serving, drizzle each plate with agave nectar, and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serve while plums are still warm.
Perfect Summer Dessert
Summertime is grilling season and plums are perfect for the grill. This dessert is very fast and easy to make, and is sure to impress you and anyone you serve it too. Candied ginger is a refreshing treat and is a wonderful way to finish up a meal. It adds a sweet, sour touch, and along with the almonds makes this dessert spectacular and so delicious. Enjoy!
More Fruit Based Desserts
Summertime or anytime is a great time to enjoy desserts made with fruit. In the non summer seasons, you can use frozen fruit which are just as healthy and flavourful. Here are some recipes to try:
Grilled Plums with Ginger and Cream
- 4 ripe plums halved
- 1/4 cup candied ginger chopped into uniform 1/3 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 cups vegan whip cream
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Chop candied ginger into uniform 1/3 inch pieces and place in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Wash mint leaves and discard any discolored ones. Refrigerate in a small bowl until using.
- Heat an indoor grill to very hot over medium high heat. Test by sprinkling a few water drops on the grill. When they sizzle it's hot enough.
- Wash the plums and cut in half. Remove pit carefully and discard. Brush each half lightly with canola oil.
- Place the plum halves, cut side down, onto the grill. Cook until until the the plums are softened and grill marked, about 1-2 minutes. Cover grill with a large pot lid while grilling.
- Turn plums over and cook for another 1-2 minutes covered. When plums are soft and grilled, remove from heat.
- Place a generous dollop of vegan whip cream in the center of 4 plates. Top with 2 plum halves. Drizzle each with agave nectar. Add a few ginger pieces and almonds onto the plums. Serve immediately while plums are still warm.