If you grew up loving Vegetable Thin crackers, then you’ll love this vegan, gluten free version. Savory Gluten free Vegetable Crackers are wonderful with cheese, soup, on a cheese board or on their own. Delicious and impossible to resist!
When I was growing up Vegetable Thins crackers were one of my favorite snacks. I loved eating them with cheese and that love remains. As I have never made vegan crackers before and am a fan, I decided to give them a try. The hardest part was trying to replicate the taste and flavour using gluten free flour, but they actually turned out very well, and very similar to the original.
I use vegan dehydrated vegetable mix for the seasoning which I buy it in bulk at my local bulk store. The mix gives the crackers the vegetable savory flavour of commercial vegetable crackers and adds some colour as well.
Making Gluten Free Vegetable Thins
Making Gluten free vegetables crackers is very easy. You just combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the wet. Mix them together until fully blended. The dough should be firm, stiff but workable. If too stiff add a little bit of water, if too soft, add more flour.
Next, you roll out the dough. Be sure to flour your rolling surface and rolling pin well as the dough is pretty sticky. Cut out the rolled dough with a 2-1/2 inch cookie cutter and bake in the oven on a silicone lined baking sheet. Be careful about your cooking times, and check often after 15 minutes. These crackers burn easily.
To finish, the crackers are then cooled completely on a rack. You can then enjoy them or store or freeze them for later. Store crackers in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
I try to eat a low gluten diet, so I made these crackers gluten free but you can use regular flour such as spelt or whole wheat. Adjust water as you’ll need less when using regular flours.
Tasty and Satisfying
Gluten free vegetable crackers are easy to make, versatile and so much fun to eat. Serve them with soup, with avocado, on a cheese board, or on their own as a savory snack. They are delicious, crisp and impossible to resist. Enjoy!
More Vegan Savory Treats
Vegan snacks and savory dishes are as yummy and healthier than non vegan versions, a real win/win situation. Here are some delicious savory vegan recipes to try:
Vegetable Thin Crackers
- 2 cups gluten free flour Containing xanthan gum
- 4 tablespoons organic canola oil And more for brushing
- 1/2 cup water Add up to another 1/2 cup as needed
- 4 tablespoons dehydrated vegetable soup mix found in bulk food stores
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 1 teaspoon stevia seasoning or commercial salt free seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with a silicone sheet or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oil, and 1/2 cup of water. Add more water as needed, up to another 1/2 cup. Mix well until you get a stiff but workable dough.
- Roll the dough until it’s very thin, about 1/8-inch. Make sure the dough is evenly rolled as it will affect bake times.
- Cut dough into 2.5 inch circles with a cookie cutter.
- Place crackers on the baking sheet.
- With a fork, prick 2 lines of holes on the surface of each crackers.
- Brush each cracker with oil.
- Bake crackers for 15-20 minutes until they are crisp and golden brown. Rotate tray halfway through baking. Watch them closely after 15 minutes to insure they don't burn.
- Let crackers cool completely on the baking sheet.