Small batch macaroni and cheese casserole is vegan comfort food at its best. Made with vegan cheese and plant based milk, it’s healthy as well as delicious.
Everyone loves macaroni and cheese casserole and it is probably one of the easiest comfort classics to veganize. There are so many great vegan cheeses available these days and you can also, as I do, make your own. The casserole is highly adaptable and can be made gluten free as well. This is a small batch recipes that is just the right amount for one or two with leftovers. Perfectly for a quick after work or school dinner.
Making Small Batch Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Vegan macaroni and cheese casserole is very easy to make. I make my own cheese but feel free to use a commercial blend to save time. You begin by cooking the macaroni according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain well and place in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
Next, you make a roux, and cheese sauce. Heat vegan butter in a pan and add flour. Heat and stir to combine. Once melted and mixed, add soy milk and stir until well heated, not boiling. Remove pot from heat, and add your vegan cheese and combined seasonings, and stir until the cheese has melted.
Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir well until mixed. Adds some parsley and stir in for some color and flavour.
Spoon mixture into a small baking dish and top with grated vegan cheese and parsley. You can use breadcrumbs as well but I prefer using more cheese to increase its creamy cheesiness and to keep it gluten free.
Bake the casserole until it bubbles and is golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven, add more parsley as garnish and serve immediately.
Small batch dinner for one or two
Perfectly cheesy and creamy with a bit of colour, vegan macaroni and cheese casserole is sure to be a popular dinner favorite. It’s also high in protein, calcium, and fibre, if you use a high fibre noodle. Making a small batch version is great if you’re single or a couple. You can even freeze leftovers for later. Enjoy!
More Vegan Comfort Food
You don’t need to give up your favorite comfort recipes when you go vegan. Here are more vegan recipes of classic comfort dishes:
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk or any unsweetened plantbased milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt free seasoning or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease casserole dish with vegan butter. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Once cooked, drain well and set aside.
- Place all the seasonings in a small bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Place butter in medium pot and stir in flour. Cook for a minute or so stirring until butter is melted and just turning brown.
- Stir in milk and cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of the grated vegan cheese, and the dried parsley and seasonings.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir until well combined.
- Pour macaroni into prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and parsley.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.