Nothing is as cosy and comforting as a warm bowl of Vegan Three Bean Chili. Made with canned tomatoes and beans for convenience and TVP for texture, it is as satisfying as it is healthy and delicious.
My favorite winter comfort meal is definitely a spicy bowl of three bean chili. Served hot with melted cheese, onions and sour cream, its a warming, comforting meal that’s hard to beat. It’s also very easy to veganize.
I make my vegan three bean chili with canned beans and TVP, which adds a meaty texture and extra protein. For heat, I add a minced jalapeño pepper as well as chili powder and cumin. The result is a spicy and satisfying chili with enough heat and texture to please chili lover.
Making Vegan Three Bean Chili
Making three bean chili is very easy, and requires common pantry items and spices you probably already have on hand. You can use dry beans for this recipe, but using canned beans greatly simplifies the process. Try to use salt free low sodium beans if possible.
You begin by heating oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Once hot, add the chopped onion, hot chili pepper and red pepper. Then add the garlic and the TVP and spices. Stir well until well mixed.
Lastly, add the beans and canned tomato and lime juice. Stir until mixed, and cover. Let it come to a boil, stirring often. Once boiling reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft and alot of the tomato juice has evaporated.
Super Delicious, High Protein
Chili is very nutritious as well as delicious. The beans and TVP give it a high protein boost and the spices, onion and peppers make it flavourful with just the right amount of heat. This recipe feeds six and you can also portion it and freeze it for later. Enjoy!
More Vegan Comfort Food
Vegan comfort food is comforting indeed especially without the fuss, mess and cruelty of non vegan versions. Here are some recipes to try:
Small Batch Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Vegan Three Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large jalapeño peppers deseeded, sliced and minced
- 1/2 large red pepper deseeded, sliced and minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup TVP soaked in 2 cups water and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon stevia seasoning or commercial salt free blend
- 2 756 ml cans diced tomatoes
- 3 570 ml cans mixed beans
- 1 lime juiced
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheese
- Green onion chopped
- Avocado sliced or cubed
- Cilantro leaves
- Jalapeño Deseeded and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, red pepper and jalapeño. Stir and saute until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tvp. Stir and cook for 1-2 minute until well mixed.
- Add the chili powder, stevia seasoning, and cumin and stir until well mixed.
- Add the cooked beans, lime juice and canned tomatoes. Stir to mix and let cook, simmering and stirring frequently for 30-40 minutes until liquid has partly evaporated and flavours are well blended.
- Serve hot. You can serve with cilantro, cubed avocado, green onions, lime juice, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream and jalapeño for toppings if desired.
You must be logged in to post a comment.