Sweet and healthy, vegan Spelt Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are so easy to make and so easy to enjoy. Make a large batch to share or freeze for whenever you have a craving.
I, like most, love a simple, basic chocolate chip cookie, but what I don’t love is the high sugar content and lack of fibre in most versions. I decided to remedy the situation so I could enjoy my favorite cookie without feeling guilty. These cookies are the result and I’m thrilled by how yummy they are.
Spelt flour is lower in gluten than regular flour and contains many vitamins and nutrients as well as being higher in fibre. I also switched the usual granulated sugar in this recipe for fructose sugar and coconut sugar. Coconut sugar gives the cookies a lovely light caramel taste and fructose is a super sweetener with a much lower blood sugar effect. This means there’s no major sugar rush/crash which is a definite bonus if you’re sensitive to these effects. Despite all this healthiness, the cookies are as yummy, sweet and crave worthy as the ones we grew up with. I love that and will be making these often.
Making Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies
These are very easy to make cookies, requiring only one bowl. Start by combining the sugars, vanilla, flax egg and vegan butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with an electric mixer.
Next, sift in the flour, baking power and then add the chocolate chips. Mix until well combined. I usually use a large soup spoon to do this to insure it is well mixed. After mixing, chill for at least one hour so cookies don’t spread too much while baking, which leaves you with burnt edges.
Once chilled, drop dough onto your cooking mat leaving at least 2 inches between cookies. Then flatten each slightly with a large spoon or glass because spelt flour doesn’t flatten as much as all purpose flour does.
Once the cookies are baked, remove them and let harden slightly on the baking tray for 10 minutes. They will be very soft and fragile. To finish, move them to a baking rack to let them cool and harden completely.
Sweet, Healthy and Vegan
These cookies are so good, satisfying and healthy. Sweet, chocolately goodness with crisp edges and soft centers. They can be frozen as well so you can have cookies whenever you need a sweet treat. Enjoy!
Yummy Vegan Cookies
Vegan cookies prove we don’t need eggs and dairy to make delicious, classic sweet treats. Here are some more yummy vegan cookies:
Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup fructose or fine berry sugar
- 1 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoon water, let sit for at least 3 minute
- 1 cup vegan butter softened
- 2 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 rounded cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cooking sheet with a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar, fructose, flax egg, vanilla and softened vegan butter. Stir until well combined.
- Sift the flour and baking soda into the sugar mixture. Mix well until all the flour is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Scoop about 2 rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2" between cookies. Flatten each cookie slightly with a spoon, your fingers or the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are browned and still soft. Check after 8 minutes to insure that the bottoms aren't burnt.
- Remove cookies from oven. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a backing rack to let cool and harden completely on a baking rack.